Scrappy Old Maid's Puzzle Quilt

by - July 25, 2023


My "Old Maid Summer" stash-busting quilt top is complete!

I used my free Old Maid's Puzzle block pattern to sew up 64 scrappy blocks using 64 different fabrics from my stash - it was so fun to just use what I had!

The quilt is wonderfully busy and scrappy - just the thing I want in a scrap quilt! I can see this one being well snuggled with on future camping trips!


Do you want to make a quilt like this?

Here's what I did broken down into steps:

1. Make 64 Old Maid's Puzzle blocks using scraps - pair a light and a dark fabric for best results!

2. Create groups of four blocks - rotate the blocks so that they form a star as shown below and sew together. You will be able to make 16 blocks like this.
 


3. Layout your blocks in a 4 x 4 grid.

4. Add sashing if you like - not everyone likes it, but I wanted a bit of definition between the blocks. I decided to add skinny light grey sashing strips - I cut the strips to be 1.5" wide and added them between each block and between the rows.


5. And your quilt top is complete!
This layout finishes at 63" x 63"

Another idea I found on Pinterest for laying out Old Maid's Puzzle blocks is this:

Image: Pinterest

I looooove this layout too with the alternating white blocks - I think might make one like this too for the back of the quilt! It's another great option for this block!


If you would like the FREE Old Maid's Puzzle block sent to your inbox, you can request it at the link here!

Happy Scrappy Sewing!

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. I love this! Can you please tell me how big your blocks were? I'm interested in trying. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete